Accident/Incident Policy

What is the difference between an accident and an incident?

An accident is an unfortunate event or occurrence that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in an injury, for example tripping over and hurting your knee.

An incident is an event or occurrence that is related to another person, typically resulting in an injury, for example being pushed over by another person and hurting your knee.

As a child minder it is my duty to promote the good health of children, keep them safe from harm, prevent the spread of infection and take action when they display any signs of illness or injury.

As required by Ofsted, I have completed an appropriate Paediatric First Aid course; my certificate is displayed in __________.

I also ensure I have a fully stocked first aid box on the premises at all times and this is kept in the __________.

Should an accident or emergency occur the following procedure will be implemented

  • I will comfort the child and reassure them whilst assessing their injuries.
  • If necessary call for medical support/ambulance (my contract includes parental consent to allow me to seek emergency medical treatment for your child if required)
  • I will then carry out any first aid procedures that are necessary and that I have been trained to do.
  • Once the child is more settled, if deemed to be appropriate, I will contact you as soon as possible to inform you of the accident and if necessary to ask you to return to care for your child/meet me at the hospital.
  • Should an accident require a child to be taken to hospital I will contact parents of the children I have in my care to arrange collection. If required I will arrange for a responsible adult (this may be my husband or other friend or family member) to care for the children until they are collected whilst I accompany the injured child to hospital.

After every accident, however minor I will:

  • Complete a report in my accident book.
  • Ask you to read and sign and then provide you with a copy (if a parent refuses to sign the accident book, I will sign to say that signature was refused.)
  • Once completed and checked, an Accident/ Incident Report is then filed in the child’s Personal Record

If the incident requires any medical treatment then I will:

  • Inform Ofsted
  • Inform my Insurance Company.
  • Contact the NCMA for additional advice/support.

It is important that you keep me informed regarding your child’s condition following an accident and if you have sought any additional medical advice.

Accident and Incident Policy